Monday, October 6, 2008

72 Hour Kit Haunts Me In My Dreams


My dh is always amazed by how I can remember dreams that I have each night, sometimes I can tell him 3 different dreams I had at the same night. Anyway, for many months I keep on dreaming about calamities happening back in Philippines, sometimes earthquakes, hurricane, flood, etch. And in all of those dreams I'm always left behind carrying 72 hour kit or looking for it. I always tell my dh to help me organize our 72 hour bag in case whatever happens we can pick it up quickly, and he always responds yes but I'm still the only one who ends up organizing it. Maybe its my paranoia why I always dream about it.
Last night I dreamed about it again, there was a fire and the whole city is burning. People are running here and there and as usual I'm carrying our 72 hour bag. I was left behind and I'm looking for my dh and baby who run their way without anything, my greatest worry was that they don't have any food and water with them. There was even one dream when I was pushing a small food storage full of foods and water and some people are asking me to share some water with them because they were'nt able to bring any with them. 
You might be wond'ring that I have a 72 hour bag well prepared... sorry but you are wrong. These are the only things I have in the bag:
  • all our important documents in two plastic folders wrapped in plastic bag
  • some canned foods, (2 cans tuna, 2 cans sardines)
  • 3 bars of chocolate and a pack of dried fruits
  • flashlight
  • first aid medicines (band aid, alcohol prep pads, paracetamol tablets, ibufropen)
Today I've decided I have to add other things I might as well need:
  •  3 pcs baby blankets and some baby clothes, wet wipes and 9 pcs. diapers
  • 2 big blankets for the family
  • 500 grams corn flakes cereals 
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn 
  • lighter and candle
  • jewelries and some money
  • paper, pen, pocket knife and lots of plastic sheets
  • disposable dish utensils for 3 days
And together with these I have a 2.5 galoon water we can easily pick at the kitchen.

"Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have been counseled to have a food storage and be prepared for an emergency which includes having a 72 hour kit. This kit should be put together in a practical manner so that you can carry it with you if you ever need to evacuate your home. It is also important to prepare one for each member of your family who is able to carry one."

Now I'm worry free and I hope this 72 hour bag won't haunt me in my dreams anymore. I don't know if I've forgotten anything, please leave a comment if you have additional suggestions. Thanks in advance.


2 comments:

Ken said...

I like your post so i copied and reposted it in my blog. Thank you for the ideas and thank you for preparing our emergency kit

Paula said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. I also dream about things that are on my mind--but rarely disasters. I guess I'm not enough of a worrier. Recently I spent a whole night dreaming about a trip to Vienna to visit my family, and woke up thinking I need to get a passport for the baby. Not that we can afford a trip just now...but I might as well be prepared!