Monday, July 28, 2008

Cooking In The Kitchen- Thank You Salt


One sure thing I do everyday is cooking. Of course, its a daily need that needed to be satisfied. This is also one thing that I have to adjust to when I got married more than a year ago. Back when I was still single and working, I'm used to eating out and cooking easily prepare meals. And when I say easily prepared meals, it means fried fish, stir fried vegetables of all kinds (whatever is available inside the fridge), and simply oatmeal or toasted bread for breakfast. It have to be less than 30 minute meal (that takes more than a Rachel Ray) as much as possible. Sadly, this is a no no when I married a man that really takes the effort and art in cooking meals. Anyway, its not that bad afterall. My mom has taught me how to cook some meals like soups, and also how to innovate them. Yes I can cook, its just that there are times that I'm too lazy to do the chopping, peeling, and etc. When I was pregnant, I have lots of reasons not to cook, or why I can't cook. But it's very different now that I have my baby. I breastfeed and so I have to make sure foods are cooked well, nutricious, clean and as much as possible no MSG in it!

In my effort, today I cooked" mung bean soup with chicken and alugbati leaves", it's introduced to me by my dear husband. I hate it when the vegetable I cook have soil on its leaves, but thanks a lot to salt. One thing I learned from my dear mother, washing vegetables thoroughly with water is not enough. After thorough washing with water, soaking the vegetables in water with lots of salt can wash dirts and etc. Try it, and you will see how salt gets the dirt from those leaves.

A lot of thank you  "salt", you don't only give spice and taste to the food I cook. You also makes sure that vegetables are well cleaned before I cook them. You are indeed a wonder, what will I do without you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is cool! your blog is nice.

Mrs. Thoughtskoto said...

thanks, and thank you for visiting.