Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Gardening in Saudi Arabia


Everytime I think about flowers, I often think about how beautiful my mom's garden is back in the Philippines. We can grow varieties of orchids and many flowering plants that saves us a lot of money instead of buying in flower shops.

I love tropical climates, you can always grow beautiful flowers and rich greenery in your backyard. But what am I to do here in Saudi Arabia, with its blistering desert climate outside. Of course there are some plants, some desert grass... palms of Dates. Whenever you go to flower shops, the usual flowers you can find are imported from Holland, in short you can't really grow flowers here all year round unlike in Philippines. And no matter how I wish I could grow orchids just like my mom, I couldn't.

When I came here(May 2007), one friend gave me a hanging indoor plant that made me really happy! So I put it inside the house and I would bring it outside in the morning for sunlight, around 7:00-9:00a.m.. To my surprise, instead of yielding a rich green plant, the leaves turned yellow. The sun nearly damaged the entire pot of plant so I stopped bringing it outside to prevent further damage.

But I was surprised last winter season, when the road side here was paved with rich and colorful Petunias! I never thought the desert can grow colorful flowers during the winter. It was such a joy to see flowers everywhere!

Its already summer here in Saudi Arabia, and it is blistering hot outside. The colorful Petunias are gone, and Dates Palms are flourishing well along the roads and its fruits almost ready for harvest. I'll be looking forward to next winter for the pink and purple flowers.

0 comments: